For my first recipe it had to be this spicy lentil, bacon and vegetable soup, my kids favourite. A proper winter warmer, best served with crusty bread.
- 220g streaky bacon, finely chopped
- 200g carrot, finely chopped
- 200g onion, finely chopped
- 200g celery, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp chopped red chilli (e.g. Very Lazy)
- 500g red lentils, rinsed
- 2.5 litres chicken stock
- Dry fry the bacon in a large saucepan, until cooked and fat rendered, approx. 10 minutes.
- Add carrot, onion and celery and cook until tender, approx. 10 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Stir in the turmeric, cumin, garlic and chilli.
- Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the lentils and stock.
- Bring to a fast boil.
- Reduce to a gentle simmer.
- Cover and cook for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are soft.
Serve and enjoy!
p.s. As I become proficient at this blogging lark, I will start posting pictures!